Yellow Moong Dal Salad / Kosambari recipe
- 1/2 cup Yellow Moong Dal ( Split Moong Dal)
- 1/2 Cucumber chopped
- 1/2 Carrot grated
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1/2 Tomato diced
- 1/4 Red bell pepper diced
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate arils
- 1 tbsp Mint Leavs
- juice of a half lemon
- 1/4 tsp green chilies
- salt and pepper to taste
- wash and soak the dal for 2-3 hours. Drain the dal and stand it in a colander to dry.
- Place the moong dal in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped cucumber, grated carrot, slit green chilis , chopped onion, diced Tomato , diced red Bell Pepper , Mint leaves and half of the coriander leaves and mix well. Set aside.
- At the time of serving, sprinkle salt, pepper , lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with Pomegranate arils and coriander leaves.
- Serve the kosamabari as a salad or as a meal by itself.
- You can also add tempering into the salad . Heat oil in a small pan. Once it turns hot, add the mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for a few secs. Turn off the heat. Pour this seasoning over the moong dal and mix well.
- If children are being served the kosambari, do not add finely chopped green chilies. Add one or two slit green chilis and discard them at the time of serving.