Traditional Ukadiche Modak | Steamed Modak
For Modak Dough :
- 2 Cups Rice Flour
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
For Filling :
- 1 Freshly grated Coconut
- 250 Grams Jaggery / Gud
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom Powder
Roast freshly grated Coconut.
Add jaggery, gud allow it to melt .he mixture feels sticky to the fingers.
Cook till Add Green Cardamom Powder.
Filling is ready . Let it cool Completely.
Now in a Pan or kadai take 2 Cups of Water.
Add ghee, salt and Sugar.
Add rice flour and mix properly.
Cover it with a lid for 5 minutes.
Knead the mixture into a soft dough.
Now take a small portion of the dough, make a ball.
Flatten the dough with fingers to make a cup.
Fill the centre with the filling.
Close the modak and steam them for 15-20 minutes using banana leaf .
You can use the moulds also for making Modaks.
finally, offer ukadiche modak to lord ganesha and celebrate ganesh chathurthi.
- In preparing this Modak it is important the the Rice flour dough has the perfect firmness. If it is too loose, your Modak will not take the right form. On the contrary, if the dough is too firm, it will lead to brittle Modaks that will break during steaming.
- So in order to maintain the right proportion of water and rice flour in the dough, just remember this simple rule - add as much water (by volume) as the Rice flour.
- So if you take about 1 cup of Rice flour to prepare Modak then ensure that you also add 1 cup of Water to the dough.
- Additionally, adding Desi Ghee to the dough is also important to help prepare a smooth dough.