Palak dal | Dal Palak
- 1/4 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split)
- 1/2 cup Toovar Dal
- 250 grams Spinach Leaves (Palak) , chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin (Jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- Salt , to taste
- Lemon juice ( Optional )
Ingredients for tempering:
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Dry red chillies
- Pinch of Hing ( Asafoetida )
- To begin making the Dal Palak recipe we will first cook the lentils (dal) using a pressure cooker using 3 cups of water, Turmeric powder and little salt.
- Next we will cook the spinach with the spices.Into a pressure cooker or Pan, add a teaspoon of oil add the Cumin Seeds, ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and spinach.
- Stir all the ingredients together just to combine them.
- Once combined, cover the pressure cooker, place the weight on. Pressure cook until you hear one whistle Or Cover the pan and cook until the spinach is soft.
- Now that you have the spinach and lentils ready, if your cooker is large enough, add the cooked dal into the spinach and give it a stir. Bring the Dal Palak to a quick boil.
- For Tempering, Into a small saucepan, heat a tablespoon of ghee. Add in the cumin seeds , Hing and dry red chillies. Roast them until they crackle and sizzle.
- Add this seasoning to the Dal Palak and give it a stir. Add lemon juice if you want.
- Serve dal palak hot with riceor roti.