Kali Gajar Ki Kanji
- 1/2 kg Black carrots
- 2 litres Water
- 4 tbsp Mustard seeds (rai) roughly grounded
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder optional
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- Peel, wash and cut the carrots into thin long fingers.
- Mix Carrots with all the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Put it in a glass jar, seal well and keep it in Sun for 4-5 days to ferment .
- Stir with a wooden spoon everyday before keeping the jars back in the sun.
- When the kanji tastes sour, it means the drink is fermented.
- Serve carrot kanji straightway or refrigerate.
If black carrots are not available then substitute them with regular carrots and a small beetroot.
The maturing of any kanji will depend upon the temperature; if the weather is warm the kanji will be ready earlier.Therefore keep checking everyday.