Pears Chocolate Cake
- 3 ripe Pears peeled and bottom part removed
For the cake:
- 150 g All purpose flour
- 5 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 225 ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 135 g Granular sugar
- 60 ml melted Butter or Sunflower Oil
Chocolate ganache glaze
- 50 - 100 g Dark chocolate
- 60 - 120 ml Milk or Oil
Prepare the pears :
- Peel the pears and remove the bottom part.
- Rub them with a slice of lemon to prevent browning.
For the cake :
- In a measuring jug, place the milk and vinegar. Leave the mixture to stand for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In the measuring jug, add the rest of the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients.
- Mix to incorporate all the ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Do not whisk or over-mix this mixture.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Insert the pears into the batter until they are almost touching the bottom but leave a little bit of batter underneath them.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C / 350F for 40 - 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before demoulding.
For the ganache :
- Make a double boiler by placing some water in a saucepan with a bowl on top.
- Turn on the heat.
- Break the chocolate into the bowl.
- When the chocolate starts to melt, stir a few times until all is melted and smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and add the milkor Oil a little at a time while continuously stirring.
- You should get a smooth thick chocolate sauce with a dripping consistency but not runny.
- Drizzle or spread the chocolate ganache on the cake using a spoon or spatula.
- To serve make sure to cut half a pear with each slice of cake.
- This cake will keep in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 days and it is even tastier the next day.
- You may serve it cold or warm with a scoop of ice cream.