Home Made Frozen Peas and Vegetables
- Fresh Peas
- Fresh Carrots
- Fresh French Beans
- Fresh Cauliflower
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Enough water
- Shell the peas and discard any peas that have gone bad.
- Cut all the vegetables ( Beans, Carrots, Cauliflower) into desired size.
- Wash the vegetables under running water.
- In a big pot, add water, salt and sugar. Bring the water to boil.
- Add the peas and bring to a boil again. Blanch the peas for just about 2 more minutes.
- When the peas start coming up drain and keep it in a bowl of chilled water or water with ice cubes.
- Same way do it it with all the vegetables Bring to boil and keep it in a ice cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain and spread them on kitchen towel for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, pack them in smaller batches in freezer bags for use whenever needed.
- If you are preserving a big batch of peas, it is better to boil them in parts rather than all together. This would ensure they get evenly cooked.Don't boil for too long else the peas will lose their colour and will shrivel up.
- Choose the peas while in the middle of the season. Peas at the beginning and end of season aren't very sweet.
- To use, take out the required quantity, wash under running water and use as required. Alternatively wait till the peas come to room temperature. Since the peas are already cooked, add them towards the end of your recipe.