- 1 cup Whole Urad Dal
- 1/4 cup Razma (kidney Beans)
- 2 Black Cardamon
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Garlic, grated(optional)
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing (Asafetida)
- Salt to taste
For Serving :
- Fresh Cream
- Coriander Leaves
- Rinse and soak Urad dal and razma overnight in 5 cups of water.
- Drain and rinse again.
- dry roast Fenugreek seeds , 1 tsp Cumin seeds and Hing till you gets an aroma . grind the mixture.
- Boil Urad dal and kidney beans together in 4 cups of water with salt, ginger, garlic, black Cardamon, Bay leaf and the above fenugreek mixture and pressure cook for 8-10 whistles or till both the dal is soft and cooked completely.
- Mash the dal with the back of t he ladle.
- Heat butter in a a pan and add 1 tsp of cumin seeds when they start to splutter, add onion and saute till they become golden in color.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add red chilli powder, coriander powder, Garam masala Powder and saute till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add this tempering to the cooked dal and cook on high flame for 2 minutes.
- Stir very well and simmer the dal makhani uncovered on a low flame.
- Once the dal makhani has begun to thicken, check the salt and add according to taste.
- Stir and continue to cook on low flame. you can add more water if the gravy looks thick or dry. The longer you keep dal on simmer , the better it tastes.
- Keep it on simmer for at least 30 minutes . keep on stirring at intervals.
- When the gravy has thickened add cream . Stir the cream very well .
- Dal makhani is not too thick or too thin it has a medium consistency. switch of the flame.
- Serve Dal Makhani garnished with cream and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Naan, chapatti or steamed rice.